Electrofishing Boat Winterization
Smith-Root Staff December 08, 2019
Properly storing your boat during the cold weather season will help ensure it is ready for next year.
Smith-Root boats equipped with Honda or Briggs & Stratton generators
- Fill fuel tanks and add fuel stabilizer. Run generator for 20 to 30 minutes. Generators with water- cooled exhaust, water must be supplied for this step of operation.
- Shut off generator and water supply. Shut off fuel valves.
- Replace motor oil and filter. Replace spark plugs. Add 30W oil to generator and check oil level.
- Start generator and run for 5 seconds and then shut down generator. Recheck oil level and add more if needed.
Smith-Root boats equipped with Kohler Marine generators
- Fill fuel tanks and add fuel stabilizer. (It is recommended running fuel stabilizer every time you add fuel to the fuel tanks.) Connect water hose to "ENGINE TEST" plug located on backside of engine housing, Turn on water and run generator for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Shut off generator and water supply. Shut of fuel valves.
- Remove engine housing. This will allow easer access for work to be completed.
- Remove raw water impeller from pump and store in zip lock bag.
- Connect oil drain hose to "OIL DRAIN" fitting located on backside of engine housing. Make hose long enough to allow it to be ran through the bilge drain hole and have it hanging outside the back of the boat.
- Open oil drain valve located at base of generator and allow 25 minutes for oil to completely drain.
- Replace spark plugs. Replace oil filter.
- Shut off oil drain valve and remove oil drain hose and reinstall plug into oil drain fitting on housing.
- Add 30W motor oil to generator and check oil level. Remove water supply hose and reinstall plug into water test fitting on housing.
- Start generator and run for 5 seconds. Recheck oil level and add more if needed.
- Place engine housing back on and bolt down.
- Open and drain water from "WINTERIZING DRAINS" located on backside of engine housing. Shut off valves once water has stopped running out.
- Remove raw water strainer and clean. Add tablespoon of liquid soap into strainer and reinstall.
- Plug in extension cord into battery maintenance charge located on front, bottom left of console and turn main battery selector to "BOTH". Light on charge will turn green when full charge is achieved
- Place note on console to remind personal to reinstall raw water impeller back into generator pump before starting new field season
See owner’s manual for your particular outboard for proper winterization. Or take boat to authorized outboard dealer.
Pro Tip: If you are storing your boat outside in very cold weather, a easy trick you can do, remove your pilot deck plate (where you stand when driving the boat) and place a 75 watt trouble light inside compartment, place deck plate back on. This will keep the water pumps and the interior of your console warm during the long winter months.